Friday, July 10, 2009

A great story

I'm post this with the authors permission, Andrea 'Enthal, I thought it was a good read.



Today every Pontiac, Hummer, Saab, and Saturn went Edsel



I have this sinking feeling that the next time I am looking for a "modern" car, it will be one of those four that follows me home. That is unless I get stuck with a surviving Daewoo.

Just as with our Edsels in 1960, part supplies will become more and more unpredicatble.
My mechanic (who has a 1970 Dodge Challenger) says he is already seeing delays in getting parts, though he can still get them. What used to take an hour now can take a week.

I remember (in about 1967) my father forgetting that you had to order Edsel parts at a Mercury dealer. The people at the Ford dealership just stared at him with an "Ed-what?" look. They'd never heard of the car.
The people at the Mercury dealership stared too because the parts were actually at the Ford dealership, not the Mercury dealership. They could order the parts from FoMoCo, but the parts orders were rarely filled. (My father wasn't car savvy enough to get the part number from the Mercury dealership and drive over with the part number to the Ford place, and buy it by number, not part name).

I remember (also in 1967) when my mother wanted a new car, I suggested they test drive a Citroen because she hated (what she considered) the rough suspension on every car they had tried.
My father refused to consider even a test drive. He said "I already have one Edsel that I can't get parts for. I don't need another."

All those Hummer, Saab, and Saturn owners don't know what they are in for.
But I do.
Today is November 20, 1959 for them, except it is a half century later.

Wonder how many Hummers and Saturns will be around in 2059.
Which 5-10 year old children of today will see them as collectible cars in 2059 and drool?
With all the computer chips and computer systems, will any of those cars even survive 16 years?
I can't see how they would. The internet has given us great support groupings, on a level never possible in 1960. But the parts that make those cars run seem too proprietarily fragile compared to our basic carbs and trannies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home