Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Jagsel





















How do you make a Jaguar better? Put Edsel parts on it.

Karma's a *&^%, she can jump up and kick you when you least expect it. Again, the Jaguar is in the shop. After welding up the exhaust the day it was unloaded my friend finally got to put some miles on the Jaguar. After a few days he wanted a oil leak inspected. No problem. He also gave me a rubber bushing for the rear of the exhaust that had fallen off when it was unloaded. Thankfully he found it. I installed the bushing and cleaned the engine and he returned a few days later so we could inspect it. When he rolled up I noticed the exhaust was much louder again. I asked what was up and he mentioned it had gotten louder. At first I expected that my welding might not have been up to par.

Once on the hoist though I knew the welding was fine. As I raised the hoist with the bonnet (hey, it's British/Indian so it's a bonnet not a hood) I noticed as I stopped to check my arm placement the motor shook back and forth. Odd I thought. Once up I found out what broke the exhaust, a rear transmission mount was very loose because a section of rubber had fallen/broken/rotted out since he had begun to drive it.

Knowing I couldn't or wouldn't be able to source the mount that day I decided to "custom modify" something to make the transmission mount solid again. Looking around I eyed one of the extra body mount bushings Dad had for the Edsel. A few minutes and a extra pair of washers later I had a Jagsel. Part Jaguar, part Edsel. So, even a Jaguar can be improved upon I guess.

After the mount was in, I welded up the new area that was broken and all is well.

Yes the owner is fully aware of the custom modification, yes he thinks it's pretty funny and yes he will be looking to source the proper mount for it in the future. But it's just to cool to not let the world know that Edsel parts fit on Jag's :)

It's Beer O'clock, Be good, have fun.

1 Comments:

At 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BJ-A Jagsel would be cool to see. You should take a fee pics of your friends car a photo shop a Horse coller grill, tail lights, and scallop on to it. I'm sure it would look cool! :)
Greg misawa77

 

Post a Comment

<< Home