Monday, February 25, 2008

E85 me









This spring I am going to start a "experiment" on my 69 Camaro. I'm going to run E85 in it. Why would I do something crazy like that you say? I've been doing a little digging and reading about E85 and its use in performance. I kind of got interested in trying this after buying the Impala. I want to try some tanks in that to see the mileage and performance difference, if any, occurs. I'm fully aware I should see a drop in mileage with the Impala and the Camaro but frankly I'm not concerned. What I'm looking at is the cost per mile. I've talked to customers at the shop and they usually mention it comes out to be a wash when it comes to cost per mile on E85 compared to regular unleaded.

I won't be the first to try it and I'm sure I won't be the last. To this point I've gathered I'll have to adjust the ignition and fuel trims to match what is needed. Seems a little more advance and a little more fuel needs to be added to make E85 happy. This won't be a problem since I am running a programmable MPFI and DIS setup on the Camaro. Since E85 is well above 93 octane I should be able to stop adding octane boost to get the old boy to run happy. From most sources I've found it falls somewhere in the 100-105 range which will work well.

I'll be changing the fuel lines, fittings, pump, filter and fuel pressure regulator over so the E85 doesn't do any damage to them. The injectors I'll leave alone, they can handle the change of fuel. I'll be putting a new tank on also, not because of the E85 but because there is a slight leak on the very top.

Nicest part is my cost per mile should drop considerably. Right now running 93 octane then dumping octane boost on top of the tank is putting me up around the $5 dollar a gallon mark. With E85 I'll be around the $2.50-75 mark. Hella' big difference. If all goes well with the Camaro I may give it a try on my 60' Apache.

Now if I can just warm things up around here to get rid of this damn snow......

1 Comments:

At 2:42 AM, Blogger TAK said...

Thanks for this post! I am about to tackle a project converting my 68 400 gto to run e85...Please keep us posted on your findings and results. Not many people have converted these old gas guzzlers to e85 and I am curious about your experience. TaK

 

Post a Comment

<< Home